Guna was a part of erstwhile Gwalior State during pre-independence period. It was not considered expedient to locate the district headquarters at Guna, because of its being the British Cantonment. The old name of the district was Issagarh. In 1909 some districts were reorganised. As a result of this the headquarters of Issagarh district were shifted from Issagarh to Bajranggarh then a tahsil place. However Guna was made the headquarters of the district on November 5, 1922, as it was more suited than Bajranggarh in respect of basic infra-structural facilities. The Agra-Bombay road passing through Guna had already been there and the Midland Railway constructed the railway line passing Guna in 1897.
Gopi Sagar Dam
Bajrangarh Fort(also known as Jharkon) is located in Bajrangarh village of Guna District in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It was built by the Yadav (Ahir) King Jai Narayan of Nandvanshi Branch in 1600AD. The Bajrangarh fort lies at an altitude of around 92.3 metres (303 ft) and is in ruins. The fort has been a symbol of Yadav rulers of Gagron State.